Cleaning a shower starts with removing dirt and grime from its door. But it becomes a hassle when we do not have the right cleaning stuff and knowledge of using it. In this case, WD-40 is a timesaving idea. In this blog, I explain how to clean shower doors with WD-40 easily. You will also get bonus info regarding this topic.
In short, cleaning shower doors with WD-40 starts with covering your body as a precaution. After that, steam the shower area to make cleaning more manageable. Spray WD40 on the door surface thoroughly and wait at least 15 minutes. Next, wipe the surface with a clean and dry microfiber cloth. Do the same if it is necessary and see the result.
That was just a summary! Let me reveal everything about cleaning shower doors using WD-40 cleaner.
Does WD-40 Clean Shower Doors?
As you can see, WD-40 has the formula to fight against shower water spots and soap scums; you can apply it to shower doors too. Usually, shower doors appear to be a more necessary part of cleaning the whole shower. It is because the door is the first thing we look at. Also, it stores grime more than other parts of the shower.
You can find versatile shower cleaning products. But each of them works specifically (for example, a cleaner that works only on soap scum). So, will you buy multiple cleaners? No, you do not need that. WD-40 is an all-rounder product that fights any type of dirt in the bathroom. Bring it home and see the magic.
How To Clean Shower Doors with WD-40 – The Full Scenario
Stains from hard water or soap scum stay on the shower door for a long time. Gradually, it becomes stubborn and tough to clean from the surface. So, you should always be aware of keeping it clean. You will learn how to finish cleaning using the WD 40 cleaner.
WD40 is a cleaning agent made of different ingredients that many of us do not know. So, it is better to read the instructions that come with the product. Besides, you can maintain these things as precautions:
1. Put on a face mask or handkerchief around your mouth and nose to prevent inhaling the cleaner saving yourself from any respiratory problem.
2. Use rubber hand gloves for the safe and spotless door of shower cleaning.
3. It is better to keep the windows and doors or turn the ventilation fan on to maintain the well-ventilated area.
4. Avoid using abrasive or harsh items to protect the shower door from unwanted damage.
5. You can use a clean and dry microfiber cloth or a soft-bristled brush to skip those harsh items.
Tools/Materials You Need
Some tools or materials can help remove stains and dirt from the shower doors:
1. A WD-40 spray can
2. Protective wear (face mask, rubber gloves)
3. Microfiber clothes
4. Ample access to neat water
5. Soft-bristled brush
Steps to Follow
Here are the steps you should stick to when cleaning shower doors with WD-40 shower cleaner:
Step-1: Steam the Shower Area
Many of us may skip this step. But trust me, it is equally helpful as the other steps below. Steaming the shower or bathroom area helps to loosen any grime. As a result, you can save overall time for cleaning.
Step-2: Spray the WD-40 Cleaner Thoroughly
After maintaining all the safety precautions and arranging the materials, you can start spraying WD40 to coat the whole door. As you have read the instructions, you now know to which things you can spray the cleaner. Try not to leave any spot; otherwise, you may need to do things again.
Step-3: Wait for Cleaner to Sit on Surface Properly
WD40 needs time to break down all the water stains and soap scums actively. So, you should wait for 15-20 minutes and let it soak on the surface. Still, you can leave the surface for more minutes if you want.
Step-4: Wipe the Area
Half of the job is already done, as WD-40 has chemical ingredients that can break down unwanted marks and dirt. But you need to continue; otherwise, the cleaner will dry on the surface. So, start wiping the shower door thoroughly using the cloth. Wipe the area till you get things fine and look clean.
Step-5: Scrub the Area
This step is unnecessary if the previous step has gone well and is satisfactory. However, you can use a scraper, sponge, or soft-bristled brush to clean the stubborn stains after wiping the shower door.
Step-6: Rinse and Dry Shower Door
After scrubbing, you can wipe again using another microfiber cloth. Then, wash the whole shower door with water, rinse it and leave it for air dry.
Now, you have the whole cleaning job done. Repeat step one to five if necessary. Always ensure you are taking sufficient time to follow each step carefully.
Tips to Keep the Shower Doors Away from Dirt
Some things are there which reduce the frequency of cleaning shower doors. Here are some of them:
· Always be aware of the water you use every day. In the case of hard water, it contains multiple minerals like calcium and magnesium that leave chalk deposits on the shower door. So, keep the hard water far from the door to reduce wiping it.
· It is better to avoid soap to clean the glass shower door for glass door. So, you can have a squeegee to drain excess water out of the door. It will eliminate the soap scum after rinsing the door with water and drying it.
· Do not use artificial and highly abrasive glass cleaners for the shower door. They may not be effective and safe as WD40, a resolute door cleaner.
· Make a habit of rinsing the shower door every time you shower. You can use a handheld showerhead to clean the most rigid corners like hinges and tracks.
· You can order dryer sheets to cut any buildup from the shower door. You can moisten the sheet using water and wipe the door surface for a better idea.
Some Alternatives to WD-40 Shower Door Cleaner
If you do not want to utilize any specific cleaner like WD-40, you can use these alternatives to clean the shower door:
· Water and White Vinegar Solution
White vinegar is a quality competitor to WD40. It is available in most houses to apply to different tasks. However, you can make a solution to it using water to remove grime from the shower door. To make a solution, pour an equal part of water and white vinegar and mix it well in a spray bottle. Next, shake it well and spray it on the door. Then, leave the area for 10-15 minutes to soak. Later, wipe the surface with a microfiber cloth, rinse and dry the door.
· Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide Paste
Paste of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) and baking soda can also effectively clean the debris from the door. Mix 3 tbsp baking soda and a couple of H2O2 drops to make a paste. Then, apply the paste to the door stains using a microfiber cloth. Rub the area gently and leave the surface for 10-15 minutes. Next, scrub the area with a soft-bristled brush and rinse with clean water. Again, wait for the door to dry.
· White Vinegar and Baking Soda Paste
Soap scum and buildups are easily removable with white vinegar and baking soda paste. To make the paste, mix 3 tbsp baking soda and some white vinegar and blend them well. Now, take a washcloth and apply the paste onto the shower door. Then, you need to wait for the paste to sit in. After that, scrub the area with a soft-bristled brush. Rinse the treated space with clean water and let it dry.
Other alternatives to WD-40 can be:
· Corn starch
· Lemon juice
· Epson salts
· Essential oils
· Pam cooking spray
Frequently Asked Questions
· Q. How do hotels keep glass shower doors clean?
· Most hotels apply white vinegar and water solution to glass shower doors. Then, rinse and dry the doors while wiping them to finish the application.
· Q. Can WD40 clean hard water stains from the glass shower doors?
· WD-40 cleans all the bathroom and shower stains from the glass doors. Also, the result lasts longer than other standard cleaners.
· Q. Are WD-40 cleaners safe on glass?
· You can use it to eliminate any stickers, soap scum, and adhesive marks from the glasses quickly without damaging the surfaces.
· Q. Can I spray WD40 on the shower pan?
· Yes, spraying WD40 on the shower pan can bring brilliant results.
· Q. Can WD40 remove limescale?
· Spray WD40, leave it for a sit-in and wipe it to clean the limescale easily.
Finally, we have concluded how to clean shower doors with WD-40. In a nutshell, you need to spray, wipe the area, and shine after drying the surface – it is the method you should follow to use the WD-40 spray. Are not the processes easy to do?
In this blog, I have included the whole thing about WD-40 shower cleaners. From definition to alternative, all of them are useful. I hope it will help you in cleaning the shower door.
Thanks for your precious time.
Amos Christen graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Interior Design from Drexel University — Philadelphia, PA. Since 2003, Amos has worked with top interior design professionals in this area, including architects and interior/graphic/lighting designers. As a skilled interior designer, Amos Christen is highly versed in fine arts and crafts and uses that to supplement his main area of expertise. He often publishes articles related to home décor on several websites, including Sprucetoilets.com, Sprucebathroom.com, and Mybesuitedhome.com. He also contributes to leading interior design magazines.